Monday, July 28, 2008

Over the river and through the woods


Okay, well, technically, we went under the Elizabeth River and through a scenic wooded stretch along VA-460W to get to the Gillikin homestead in Colonial Heights (just south of Richmond) where Kathleen, Pat and baby John William MacCubbin were visiting Kathleen's parents, Bill and Linda Gillikin. It was a smooth ride; the girls napped on the 2 hour ride there, and slept most of the way home (we left at 8 p.m.). And we had a wonderful time. It was so good to see Pat and Kathleen and to see how much John has blossomed in the past few months. He's a beautiful Irish lad, I tell ya. Nora had a hard time keeping her hands off of Linda's collectibles which are displayed throughout the house (i.e. corn husk dolls in the kitchen, a miniature village encased in a coffee table), but Pat was able to distract her with a deck of cards (he taught her how to play "war" and we taught him how to play "slap jack") while Kathleen and I took a short stroll. I enjoyed catching up a bit with Kathleen's parents after they got home from work and we sat down to dinner, and hearing about their positive experiences as career military (Army). Finally, Nora put on a show for us on the cover of Bill and Linda's hot tub (which she dubbed her "stage") while we ate a dessert of Amish Friendship Bread with fresh peaches, blueberries and whipped cream out on the deck. Caroline was thoroughly amused and chuckled quite a bit at Nora's antics, much to everyone's delight. After we said our goodbyes and pulled out of the driveway, Nora sighed and said, "That was a good time." I agreed. I'm so glad we've had the opportunity to see Pat and Kathleen a few times over the past year and look forward to more get togethers!

No comments: